When is it?
August 4-6, 2017. The 3-day sales tax holiday starts the first Friday in August at 12:01 am and ends the following Sunday at 11:59 pm.
What is it?
During the sales tax holiday, you can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax.
What items are eligible?
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
List of School Supplies Eligible for Exemption
“School supply,” means an item that is commonly used by a student in a course of study. For purposes of the sales tax holiday, the term does not include computers and such items may not be purchased exempt of the tax.
The following is an all-inclusive list of items that are included in the term “school supply” and are therefore exempt from tax during the sales tax holiday period, provided their sales price is $20 or less per item. Only the following items are exempt as school supplies. Items need not be intended for use in school or in connection with a school activity to be eligible for the exemption.
- Binder pockets
- Blackboard chalk
- Book bags, messenger bags, and totes
- Cellophane tape
- Clay and glazes
- Composition books
- Computer storage media; diskettes; recordable compact discs; and flash drives
- Dictionaries and thesauruses
- Disinfectant wipes
- Erasers (including dry erase marker erasers and dry erase marker cleaning solution)
- Folders: expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
- Glue, paste, and paste sticks
- Hand sanitizer soap
- Index card boxes
- Index cards
- Legal pads
- Lunch boxes and lunch bags (including disposable lunch bags)
- Markers (including dry erase markers and dry erase marker kits)
- Musical instruments, musical instrument accessories, and replacement items for musical instruments
- Paintbrushes for artwork
- Paints (acrylic, tempera, and oil)
- Paper: loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy and printer paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper
- Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
- Pencil sharpeners
- Reference books
- Reference maps and globes
- Sheet music
- Sketch and drawing pads
- Workbooks; and
- Writing tablets
For a full, detailed list of items available, visit Virginia Department of Taxation Sales Tax Holiday Page