How Much Should You Expect To Pay For Tax Return Preparation?
(Note: Fees charged by Hampton Roads Accounting are about HALF the national average!)
Taxpayers looking to hire a professional to complete their tax return can expect to pay an average of $273 for an itemized Form 1040 with Schedule A and a state tax return, according to the National Society of Accountants (NSA). This is a 4.6 percent increase over the average fee last year, which was $261. It is an 11 percent increase from two years ago – the last time the survey was conducted.
The average cost to prepare a Form 1040 and state return without itemized deductions is $159, also a 4.6 percent increase over the average fee last year, which was $152. It is an 11.2 percent increase from two years ago.
“When you consider the time it takes to complete tax returns, this is a very strong value,” says NSA Executive Vice President John Ams. “The tax code continues to become more complex each year, including some new Affordable Care Act reporting requirements. Professional tax preparers may also be able to find tax deductions and credits that may taxpayers might not notice.”
The survey also reported the average fees for preparing additional Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax forms, including:
- $174 for a Form 1040 Schedule C (business)
- $634 for a Form 1065 (partnership)
- $817 for a Form 1120 (corporation)
- $778 for a Form 1120S (S corporation)
- $457 for a Form 1041 (fiduciary)
- $688 for a Form 990 (tax exempt)
- $68 for a Form 940 (Federal unemployment)
- $115 for Schedule D (gains and losses)
- $126 for Schedule E (rental)
- $158 for Schedule F (farm)
Save some money, visit our Tax Preparation page today and get started!